I’m not the biggest pasta eater, but after the holidays were over I still had one final can of pumpkin puree I needed to get rid off and another dessert was out of the question. I found this recipe for baked Pumpkin Pasta and since it was low fat I decided to give it a try. http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/vegetablevegetariandishes/r/pumpkinpasta.htm
For me this recipe was okay. The pros it’s low fat. One serving equals 350 calories and the servings were huge and could easily be split in half. But overall it lacked taste. The recipe just didn’t do it for me. I kept trying to add more cheese to make it tastier. I used whole wheat pasta, so that possibly could have been the issue. If I reattempt this recipe, I would probably use half the amount of penne pasta to give it a little more taste and to cut down on the servings since this was just a little too much pasta for me! Happy Eating! –MJ
Low Fat Baked Pumpkin Pasta
12 ounces uncooked penne pasta
2 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 small zucchini, halved lengthwise, then sliced
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried sage
1 15 ounce can pure pumpkin
1 cup part skim ricotta cheese
1/2 cup water reserved from pasta pot
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water according to directions on package, less 2 minutes, and reserve 1/2 cup of cooking water when done.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat oil in large skillet. Sauté onions and garlic for 5-6 minutes, until softened. Stir in zucchini and herbs, and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in canned pumpkin and ricotta cheese.
- Empty drained pasta plus 1/2 cup of reserved cooking water into skillet and mix well.
- Spoon pasta into a 11 x 7 baking dish. Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
Makes 6 Servings