I ♥ Mexican Food, so when I found a recipe for Mexican Lasagna I knew I had to try this. And Bonus Points – it’s low fat too (220 calories per serving)! This turned out sooo good! I will definitely be making this again. Check out the link to the original recipe I used and my tweaked version below. Happy Eating! –MJ
1 lb lean ground turkey
1 (1 ¼ ounce) package taco seasoning – I used the Old El Paso Low Sodium Seasoning
1 cup frozen onions
1 ½ cup tomato sauce (low sodium)
16 ounces salsa or picante sauce
1 cup light cottage cheese
¾ cup egg substitute
8-12 8 inch corn tortillas
1 can refried beans
8-10 ounces Sargento Reduce Fat 4 Cheese Mexican Cheese
1) Preheat oven to 350°F
2) Brown turkey, drain (if necessary).
3) Add seasoning packet, onion, tomato sauce and salsa.
4) Simmer 5-7 minutes.
5) Combine cottage cheese and egg in small bowl.
6) Spray 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray.
7) Assemble lasagna in the following order: 1/2 meat mixture, 1/2 tortillas, 1/2 cottage cheese mixture, 1/2 cheese, repeat. Optional – Incorporate Refried Beans into second/ or final layer of meat
8) Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes.
9) Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 Servings